[time-nuts] It is possible to "recharge" a hydrogen maser?

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 18:15:09 UTC 2019

Hi Luiz,
We replaced H-source one Kvarz active HM during the summer of 2016. After
6-9 months of so of 'warm up' and settling down it is back up to maximum
TAI weight.
We got the new H-source bottle (size of a mini coke-can) and instructions
from the manufacturer.
>From what I recall the steps are roughly:
- turn it off and turn it upside down
- open up (HFO, mag-shield etc.) enough to have access to the H-bottle
- disconnect the old bottle
- cool down the new bottle in liquid nitrogen
- connect new (cold) bottle with new seals (ethanol was used to prevent the
new seals collecting water and freezing)
- paint soap-bubble liquid on the pipes and look for leaks. let it warm up
a day or two.
- assemble, turn on, hope for the best :)
- the bottle has a heater, which isn't needed in the beginning (6-9 months)
when the H-pressure from the new source is high, so the heater can be off.
Turn on the heater when the H-pressure monitor shows a reasonable value.

hope this story helps, it's definitely doable with support from the
manufacturer and basic tools/skills found in your typical time lab.
Anders