[time-nuts] Advantages of GNSS ???

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jul 6 11:42:19 UTC 2019

Hi

On the F9P you have the specific issue of L1 / L2 with older GPS satellites. The device
only does L2C. That cuts the “population” roughly in half. This is not a great thing for a
“GPS only” setup with that device.

BIPM does not directly control or feed timing into the various GNSS systems. They do
use highly specialized gear to do time transfer. Some of that is via GNSS sats. What they
do is a bit different than what a typical timing user would do.

Frequency of any GNSS output on the F9P is limited by the accuracy of the time pulse.
Correction is only done once a second. The same “fraction of a nanosecond” sort of wobble
you see in time gets you a “fraction of a PPB” frequency wobble. You will need a local
standard to discipline in order to do very well. A commercial GPSDO is one way to do this.
There are other approaches.

Indeed this is just the first layer or two of the list of fun you are going to have :)

Bob