[time-nuts] Switching 1 pps signal

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 6 18:06:16 UTC 2019

I am trying to come up with a viable design to encase TICC along with 10MHz -> 1 pps converter.  My plan is to share the input connector and switch in/out the converter.

1 pps, although technically a 1Hz signal, rise time and duration is awfully short on some sources.  I'm sure constituent signal will go way into RF range.  I am not capable of calculating this.  But, that means I really have to treat it as an RF signal, correct?  Otherwise, slower rise will cause error as it will cross the threshold later than initiation of the pulse.  Question is, how careful do I need to be?
My plan is to use two 18GHz microwave relay per channel to bypass/place-in the converter.  I know this would be OK but am I over-doing this?  I also have a miniature relay in DIP size but I'm afraid it may not be sufficient.  There is not a frequency spec, and consistency may be an issue.
Advise, please?