[time-nuts] Switching 1 pps signal

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jul 6 22:52:16 UTC 2019

Hi

Indeed the fast rise time of just about any modern digital signal gets energy up into the GHz region. Isolation wise, the
simple answer is often to just disable the signal when not in use. In a one at a time system, that takes care of cross
talk / feed through. There are a lot of “always on" devices out there that suffer from blips on (say) the 10 MHz output
each time the (maybe) 1 pps edge goes out …. disabling signals at the sourcre isn’t always an option.

The other half of the problem is how to get the signal to its destination when it *is* in use. Coax (with some sort
of drive that will handle a 50 ohm load) is usually the answer for long runs. For shorter runs simple twisted pair works ok.
For very short runs a trace on a board or a jumper wire may be all you need.

So now, what are the dimensions on all those really vague terms? Long (as in coax) is up into the 10’s of feet and down
range. Shorter (as in twisted pair is in the 5 feet and down range, with a foot or two being pretty safe. Anything in the
“couple inches” range is territory for a wire or simple trace on a board.

The two issues (isolation and integrity ) are not completely independent of each other. In many cases you both need isolation
*and* a good signal. In those cases, the mumble mumble mumble lengths above get a bit shorter. Just how short
depends on just how good the isolation needs to be. Coax runs in the “under a foot” range are not unheard of.

Further complicating this is the fact that you can get fancy twisted pair setups that are fine for longer runs. You
can get really crummy coax that isn’t good for anything. There are always ways to route traces or bundle wires that will get
you in trouble.

Lots of fun and lots of rabbit holes to wander down ….

Bob