[time-nuts] verifying synchronization with PPS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jul 8 18:49:38 UTC 2019

scs at eskimo.com said:
> My specific question concerns the case that one of the boxes is a computer,
> for example, a Linux box with time kept using ntpd or chrony (perhaps also
> listening to a PPS signal coming in on a serial port).  But I've never seen a
> computer with a PPS *output*.

There is code in the Linux kernel to generate a PPS output.  I've never tried
it.  I think it uses the printer port which isn't available on modern systems.
 You can probably get a PCI plugin card.  You will probably have to build your
own kernel.

If I wanted to try something, I would write a user-level hack to flap a modem
line and compare that to a PPS signal.

The code would look something like this:
  t1 = time()
  set line low
  t2 = time()
  set line high
  t3 = time()
  log t2 and t3
  wait 1/2 second
  set line low
  wait 1/2 second
  loop

The first time/set is to warm out the cache.

> (Perhaps PPS is overkill for this situation; perhaps it's the case that given
> the inherent inaccuracies of software-based timekeeping, a software-based
> query mechanism -- perhaps using ordinary NTP or PTP protocols -- would be
> sufficient for

That just gets time from one computer to another.  Now you have the same "is
it right?" question on another box.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.