[time-nuts] Recommendations for time beginner?

Frank O'Donnell time at inkbox.net
Mon Jul 8 18:14:00 UTC 2019

Hi, I'm extremely new to the topics covered on this list, but am finding
reading the message traffic to be highly educational. I have some
questions that I'd like to put out, and apologize in advance for them
being at a greatly simpler level than most of the discussion here.

I came to time-nuts by way of an interest in frequency measurement as a
radio ham. To supply a 10 MHz signal to my gear I bought a used Trimble
Thunderbolt. I always like to have a backup, so am thinking of obtaining
another device (either a GPSDO or something else that can provide a 10
MHz signal). For a beginner, is there something else that offers
accuracy/precision at least as good as a Thunderbolt and doesn't cost
more than a few hundred dollars at most that you might recommend?

I also have some questions about using the Trimble, but will put those
in a separate message.

Thanks,

Frank O'Donnell