[time-nuts] LT3042, etc. Re: HP E1938A schematics.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jul 9 15:14:15 UTC 2019

Hi

All capacitors have series inductance as well as resistance. As you go past about
100 KHz or so, this gets to be very noticeable. Exact details will always vary with
capacitor type and size.

Modern switchers (just like modern  logic gates) run ever faster edge rates. The faster
the switch, the more high frequency energy in the edge. A switcher running at 2 MHz
and doing 90% efficiency will probably need a switching speed faster than 10 ns.

This all just keeps pushing the PSRR requirements up and up in frequency.

Bob