[time-nuts] Recommendations for time beginner?

Frank O'Donnell time at inkbox.net
Tue Jul 9 23:28:52 UTC 2019

Forrest,

Thanks very much for the extensive comments, they're greatly helpful.

I thought I might say a little more about my goals, and add some notes
on points that you made.

As mentioned, my main focus at this point is measurement of HF radio
signals, with a goal of 1 millihertz accuracy. At 10 MHz that would
involve stability of 1 part in 10^10. 1 part in 10^11 would be ideally
desirable for reference.

I have some oscillators (oven-controlled, double-oven-controlled, etc)
but have been told that these won't be able to achieve the stability I'm
looking for, and it's been suggested that I think in terms of GPSDOs
and/or devices using radioactive sources. I've been told that a GPSDO
will maintain 1 part in 10^12 if powered on, locked and left to
stabilize for a few months, whereas unlocked they vary with temperature
by about 10 PPB, drifting perhaps 5 PPB per day.

My first thought on a GPSDO to act as a backup to the Thunderbolt was
one of Leo Bodnar's units, either the Precision GPS Reference Clock or
the Mini Precision GPS Reference Clock. It appears that the primary
difference between these is that the first unit outputs two reference
clocks, whereas the mini outputs one. I don't need two clocks, so if
their specs are otherwise the same the mini should be fine for me. The
BG7TBL GPSDO sounds interesting; my main concern about going in that
direction is the variation you mentioned in different editions due to
parts availability.

I have very poor view of the sky immediately outside the room my gear is
located in, so for the Trimble I've been using a run of about 50 feet of
coax to an active GPS antenna. If I run multiple GPSDOs I hope I can use
an antenna splitter rather than putting up multiple antennas.

One topic I'd like to understand better is how GPSDO stability is
related to run time. Is it a geometric curve, with stability improvement
the greatest in the first hours and days after being powered on, with
later improvement less pronounced? If a GPSDO stays powered-on without
interruption but loses lock for some reason (for example, the antenna is
disconnected), does its stability hold reasonably steady or does it
start over from scratch?

I haven't yet seen or worked with a cesium or rubidium source, but am
very interested in them. I'm told that, like the replicants in Blade
Runner, they are high-performance but have limited lifespans -- i.e.
they achieve better than 1 PPB and don't require the extended run-times
of GPSDOs to achieve optimal stability, but due to the decay of their
sources they will not last forever. For educational purposes if nothing
else it would be very interesting to experiment with one of these, if I
can find one that isn't too expensive and is in decent shape.

I do incidentally have a nice Siglent two-channel oscilloscope, so
that's available for trimming purposes.

Thanks for the caveat about noise. My ultimate goal is accuracy of
frequency measurement, but precision may be a higher priority for
selection of a clock source. I need to spend time understanding better
the relationship between these in the measurement procedures I'm looking
at using.

One other note -- even with decent gear I realize there will be other
factors such as atmospheric Doppler that introduce larger errors than
the ones mentioned above. I'll certainly have to deal with those too.

If I have anything wrong, or if any of the above suggests any further
comments or suggestions (from any one on the list), I'll be very interested.

Thanks again,

Frank