[time-nuts] Recommendations for time beginner?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 10:45:01 UTC 2019

From: Frank O'Donnell

Forrest,

Thanks very much for the extensive comments, they're greatly helpful.
[]
I have very poor view of the sky immediately outside the room my gear is
located in, so for the Trimble I've been using a run of about 50 feet of
coax to an active GPS antenna. If I run multiple GPSDOs I hope I can use
an antenna splitter rather than putting up multiple antennas.
[]
If I have anything wrong, or if any of the above suggests any further
comments or suggestions (from any one on the list), I'll be very interested.

Thanks again,

Frank
=======================================

Frank,

Only one comment on that - an antenna splitter is fine for this task.  There
are splitters designed for GPS use which will pass the receiver output DC
through to the antenna, usually taking the highest voltage, but leaving the
remaining feeds DC terminated so that the receiver thinks the antenna is
still there.  Not sure I explained that very well!

Alternatively, use a satellite TV splitter and a DC isolator in one of the
outputs - if that is needed.  I've not used a Trimble so I don't know how
sensitive to DC conditions it is.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu