[time-nuts] Using the LT3042

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 10:13:36 UTC 2019

FWIW for the 10MHz distribution amplifier I have been using LT1963 (40
uVrms in 10Hz to 100kHz) which is about 40x worse than the LT3042 spec of
0.8 uVrms in 10Hz to 100kHz.
With decent op-amps I think the distribution-amp performance is limited by
the op-amp noise and thermal noise in the resistors - I wouldn't expect the
residual phase/amplitude noise to improve at all with a better LDO like the
LT3042 - but ofcourse I haven't tried this :)

The LT3042 spot noise spec of 2nV/sqrt(Hz) corresponds to Johnson noise of
a 250 Ohm resistor at room-temperature (if my spreadsheet-calc is right..)
- so I guess if one has circuits that are already optimized/limited by
supply voltage noise at that level then moving to the LT3042 makes sense.

AW