[time-nuts] Used Hydrogen Maser

cdelect at juno.com cdelect at juno.com
Wed Jul 10 15:15:55 UTC 2019

Perrier,

Hi!

Depends on the type and model, Active or Passive Maser etc.

I believe new active Masers run in the 1/4 million dollar range.

T4 science offers some nice Passive Masers but I don't know the cost.

pH Maser 1008 https://www.t4science.com/products/phmaser-1008/

On the basis of just a few examples (they are very rare) a used active
Maser can be found for 30-40 Thousand dollars. This for a demonstrated
working unit less transport costs which won't be cheap!

Expect to pay $1000.00 every 4-5 years on ion pump repair, electricity
costs for 24/7 operation, air-con costs to keep it happy, cost of a
vacuum turbopump station and ion pump controller for the ion pump
repairs. (and don't forget a place to park a small refrigerator sized
instrument.)

The older Masers are more serviceable than some newer vintages, however
getting some specialized parts may be impossible.

Some newer Masers use getter packages as the main Hydrogen waste pump and
make it very difficult  to service the vacuum system. Also some do not
make provision for easy field replacement of the ion pumps.

Hope this helps and good luck on the lottery!

If you do win I would suggest the MHM 2010
https://www.microsemi.com/product-directory/active-hydrogen-maser/4123-mh
m-2010-active-hydrogen-maser

Cheers,

Corby