[time-nuts] Galileo service currently degraded

Björn bg at lysator.liu.se
Sun Jul 14 07:01:07 UTC 2019

> On 14 Jul 2019, at 00:25, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> A report that the outage is due to a failure at the Galileo "precise time facility" in Italy.  It has all their cesiums and a maser.   Hmmm... no backup facility... sounds like a recipe for disaster?

To my knowledge both Italian and German control centers have an identical PTF. Do you have any reference to there not being an PTF at Oberpfaffenhofen?

Additional there are backup service from some European national UTC labs. Don’t know if this is “online backup” if neither control center has working time.

Still failover has obviously not worked - if the PTF(s) were at fault - as per Insidegnss...

Also note that Galileo operational service levels are incrementing from Initial Service (where we are now), to Enhanced Service (hopefully soon), to IOC and finally FOC.

> Service outage may last over 90 hours.

Can Galileo absorb this within the service level stated in Initial Service documents?

https://www.gsc-europa.eu/system/files/documents/Galileo-OS-SDD.pdf

(Page 26) Availability of OS UTC service - >87% over 30days. Equals outage of 3.9days (93.6h) for a 30 day period.

/Björn