[time-nuts] AN/URQ-10A

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Jul 18 00:00:15 UTC 2019

Roy,

In the early days of time-nuts and eBay the URQ-10A (made by FEI) was
highly sought after due to its reputation for superb stability. There's
also the -23A which is similar but has a frequency drift compensation
feature.

With any old piece of gear it's hard to know if a specific unit for sale
is bad, good, or superb so YMMV.

See fellow time nut Brooke's page with photos:

https://www.prc68.com/I/URQ10-URQ23.shtml

Is your -10A manual hard-copy or PDF? If the latter, consider adding it
to fellow time nut Didier's page:

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals

I don't have any suggestions about fixing the ~10 Hz offset. It's either
aged very far over the decades or perhaps there's just an oven problem.
You can do some simple non-destructive experiments to determine which.

Note that some people would pay a lot for a ultra high stability
oscillator with a 5 MHz + 10 Hz offset: it could make a wonderful beat
note reference for a mixer-based frequency stability analyzer.

/tvb