[time-nuts] uBlox F9P versus F9T

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jul 18 12:54:05 UTC 2019

Hi

The price of a bare module is still a bit steep. The price of the uBlox board for the F9P still looks
like a steal though …..

At this point you still don’t seem to be able to buy F9T modules through distribution at all. Both are
priced just below $200 on the uBlox site. The F9P is priced identicallyat Digikey as at uBlox. I have
not seen either one pop up at any other distributors yet. My guess is that once more of these get out
in the wild, other distributors will come in and the price will drop a bit.

Right now the M8N is at $25 and the M8T is at $89 at Digikey. I doubt the F9P or F9T will get to
the M8N price. Getting a lot closer to the M8T price seems pretty likely. However if your system is
being designed today, the M8T is  < 1/2  the price.

For a “Time Nut” sort of project where best performance is the goal, the F9P / F9T seem like the
best way to go. It’s a basement build and you aren’t going to market it to Lucent or Nokia. The
performance plus the features ( and yes … the cool factor …) make it the one to go with. Being able
to do data reduction via the various free services is a *big* plus.

Bob