[time-nuts] AN/URQ-10A - on frequency doublers

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jul 18 13:54:40 UTC 2019

The 5071A has a chain of doublers from 10 to 320 MHz.
One thing I learned in designing this is that it
is important to drive the doublers with pure sine
waves.  It might seem like if I double from 10 to
20, and then use that 20 to double to 40, it doesn't
matter if the 20 contains some 40 MHz 2nd harmonic
because after all I am making it into 40 anyway.
WRONG.  Without proper filtering, the spurs at
20 and 60 MHz come up due to the 40 at the input.

Another thing is that the filters should be designed
by transforming a low pass prototype to a bandpass filter
having a ladder network with series resonant tanks for
the series elements and shunt resonant tanks for the
shunt elements. For complicated reasons, this
works better than a low pass filter or a band pass
of the coupled resonator topology.  It is also
easier to tune up.  The 5071A chain uses off the
shelf components and has no adjustments.  Every
board just works at turn on.  Owners of 5061's
who have fooled with the multiplier in them will
appreciate this.

The lunatic fringe at NIST uses 2N2222 transistors
connected as diodes (collector to base short).  We
didn't have to resort to that in the 5071A.

BTW, a passive TRIPLER is also essentially perfect,
especially using Wenzel's circuit (see wenzel.com).

Rick N6RK