[time-nuts] GPDSO Distribution amp that does not radiate ?

Eric Scace eric at scace.org
Thu Jul 25 16:12:51 UTC 2019

   As others have mentioned, leaks can occur from the distribution amp via any connected cable (including data power cables) or from the case itself. Ditto for the TBolt. These lines should be “cold” at RF by making them high-Z paths.

   Proper ferrite treatment raises RF impedance in its design range and can can help kill RF signals leaking out via a cable. RF bypass capacitors inside the box (penetration point through the Faraday cage that a good chassis enclosure should represent) can also help.

   Similarly, the SDR itself may be picking up RF via paths other than the RF-input connector; e.g., power supply lines, control/data lines, audio lines, headphone jack.

— Eric