[time-nuts] atomic/chemical THz sampler

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 14:25:02 UTC 2019

Kind of the opposite of what you are asking: ultrafast laser spectroscopy
is used to study chemical reactions and make measurements of their time
scales (often in the time range of several femtoseconds). And precise
timing of photons produced is critical to making the measurements.

The chemical processes at the femtosecond level seem to not click like
clockwork, but instead seem to have exponential decay curves like, say,
nuclear half-lives.

If you were looking to store long sequences of information in chemicals,
the model that comes to mind is DNA. A nice poster on timescales in cell
biology: https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(16)30208-2.pdf

Tim N3QE