[time-nuts] injection locking crystal oscillator

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 00:32:04 UTC 2019

Hello Thomas,

What you ask is possible, but only if the native crystal oscillator
frequency is close enough to the signal from the GPSDO.  You
may have to tune the oscillator yourself to get it to lock, and you
may or may not find that the result is predictable from day to day.
This would depend on how much signal you inject from the GPSDO,
and other, largely imponderable factors.

I think all you can do is try it, understanding that there is also some
risk of damaging the chip if you try to inject too much in search of
success.

If you have a signal gen that you can fine tune around 10 MHz, it
would probably be worth setting it to the same output level as your
GPSDOs output and using it at first.  That way you can explore the
parameters more rapidly without (initially) bothering to retune the
oscillator on the chip.

Dana