[time-nuts] injection locking crystal oscillator

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Mar 1 02:12:12 UTC 2019

Hi

How close to frequency is the 10 MHz oscillator?

Is the crystal a fundamental?

The degree you can injection lock an oscillator is (as Danna notes) a bit difficult
to predict. Your chances improve if the oscillator is low(er) Q. They also improve
if it is tuned very close to frequency. Past that it’s a function of power.

Also keep in mind that when the GPSDO drops out, you likely will get a “burp”
in the output of the injection locked oscillator. That may unlock your PLL.

It sounds like the oscillator i this case is not tuned in a normal sense ( = there is
nothing to adjust it dead on frequency). First step probably would be to add that
“feature” to the circuit.

Bob