[time-nuts] GPSDO Educational Tool

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Mar 3 17:13:32 UTC 2019

I was doing a set of measurements and realized I'd come up with
everything you need to understand about GPSDO in one ADEV plot. :-)  I
thought I'd pass it along.

This shows a sawtooth-corrected GPS PPS and two GPSDOs -- one quite good
(Z3805), and the other quite awful (u-Blox M8F VCTCXO).

You can see that the quality of the crystal oscillator determines what
the control loop time constant should be -- the better the oscillator,
the longer the time constant.  As different as their performance is,
both these units have their constants pretty well chosen.

John