[time-nuts] Re; Motorola MC68HC11 Crystal

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Mar 7 14:47:29 UTC 2019

Hi

Load capacitance on a crystal is not at all easy to guess from the “stuff” hanging
off of an MCU chip. There’s simply to much inside the chip that you have no way
of knowing about. If indeed you *need* a very accurate crystal, it gets custom made
for whatever that particular circuit happens to do. Generally that is taken care of
with a PPM offset on the spec drawing. Rather than being +/- 30 ppm at some
load, it will be +150 to +210 ppm. At least that’s the way Motorola always used
to do it …..

Bob