[time-nuts] Synthesized Signal Generator query

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Mar 7 19:04:00 UTC 2019

On 3/7/2019 8:56 AM, Didier Juges wrote:

> The king of low close-in noise are the HP8662 (990MHz) and HP8663 (2GHz?)
> by about 20dB at 1kHz compared to the 8644A
>
> Didier KO4BB

When I worked at Agilent, my lab had a half dozen HP8662's and some
63's.  They were not useful for any kind of high performance clock
requirement, unless we divided them down with, for example, a Centellax
(now Microchip) divide by 8 to 511 eval board.  That was SOP in those
days.

If you just want 100 MHz, there are inexpensive 100 MHz VCXO's
(about $25 at D/K or Mouser) that will blow the doors off of
an HP signal generator.  You can phase lock them to a 10 MHz OCXO
if necessary.  Besides 100 MHz, there are various other frequencies
available.  See Crystek and Abracon, etc.  These VCXO's put out
CMOS logic signals, so you have to convert sine to square.

Rick N6RK