[time-nuts] Synthesized Signal Generator query

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 16:56:15 UTC 2019

The very low phase noise requirements for a 3GHz generator really cuts down
your options while raising the price significantly. You may be better off
with two boxes if you can really reduce your requirements to what you need
as opposed to what you want.

Also, I am sure you have seen that the HP8644B is the low noise version
that only goes to 2GHz with option 2 while the HP8664A goes to 3 GHz with
higher noise. Option 4 brings the 8664A model very close to the B but is
pretty rare.

The king of low close-in noise are the HP8662 (990MHz) and HP8663 (2GHz?)
by about 20dB at 1kHz compared to the 8644A

Didier KO4BB