[time-nuts] Synthesized Signal Generator query

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Mar 7 15:47:32 UTC 2019

The 8664, et al, has low phase noise in terms of a general
purpose signal generator.  However, it is quite inadequate
as a clock generator.  The Agilent E5505 phase noise test
system has an accessory frequency divider that you are
supposed to use with the E8663 to get low phase noise
below 100 MHz.  Of course, when that is used, you lose
the programmable output attenuator in the E8663.  You also
have to have a low jitter sine to square wave solution.
Other solutions might be better for you, such as using a DDS eval
board with a high end 1 GHZ clock source.

When I was working at Agilent Labs, I tried to get the company
interested in making a low jitter clock generator.  I never
got any traction on that.  Robin Giffard (of 5071A fame)
would say that it wasn't thought of at a high enough level.

On 3/7/2019 6:19 AM, Don at True-Cal wrote:
> Hi Jim,
> The 100K to 3G frequency range of the 8664A is what I'm looking for as a
> general signal source. The low phase noise needed will mostly be under
> 100MHz for work on clock, trigger and timing circuits. Thanks for the reply,
> Don

Rick N6RK