[time-nuts] Synthesized Signal Generator query

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Mar 8 02:59:52 UTC 2019

A couple of comments about the PTS units...

While the potential noise floor is very low (depending on the quality of
the reference oscillator), there can be significant spurs depending on
how many non-zero digits you have dialed in.  With the analog multiply
and mix architecture, the more digit stages are in use, the more spurs
you get above the low noise floor.

The lower frequency units tend to have better noise than the ones with
higher frequency ranges.  The PTS X10, 040, and 160 models are the
quietest if you can live with their upper frequency limits (10, 40, and
160 MHz respectively).

There's also one very tricksie version out there that is particularly
interesting for time-nuts -- the PTS250/SX51 where the SX51 option is a
switchable divider that turns a 250 MHz synthesizer with 1 Hz resolution
into a 25 MHZ synthesizer with 0.1 Hz resolution, and a significant
phase noise improvement.  Its noise floor is around -145 dBc/Hz, while
the other units are in the -125 to -135 range.

I have a bunch of measurements of PTS boxen at
https://febo.com/pages/pts_synth/

(And, I'm getting ready to sell a few of the too-many PTS boxes in my
lab, including an SX51... look out for a notice in the next week or so.)

John
----