[time-nuts] Synthesized Signal Generator query

Steve - Home steve-krull at cox.net
Fri Mar 8 14:31:37 UTC 2019

I had a recent email exchange with PTS. I have a PTS 160 SK01G serial number 1A 8428. The output drops off rapidly below 70 KHz. It doesn’t match the manuals available online as it has .1Hz resolution but without the number of DM modules the manual says it should have. Instead it has a couple of DM modules and another module that apparently performs all the functions of multiple DM modules.

I emailed PTS about the possibility of acquiring a manual that matches my unit and the response was:
“Sorry, don't routinely offer complimentary support or complimentary manuals.

More to the point: PTS 160 has a specified lower limit of 100 KHz, no "fixing" possible to obtain outputs lower than that and not malfunctioning.

If the failure is occurring when setting certain 10 KHz steps but at output frequencies above 100 KHz, we'll need to see the unit and the repair cost for a unit of that vintage is $2500.

If you'd like the unit repaired, feel free to contact us, but we are not able to respond to any other inquiries on how to fix your unit.“

I didn’t ask for anything “complimentary” and would have been happy to pay a reasonable price for a manual matching my unit. Maybe explaining to them in my email that I’m a hobbyist and not a million dollar a year buyer was not a smart thing to do but I prefer to be upfront when making requests for information.

If I felt the need, for $2500 I could buy a good assortment of PTS synthesizers on eBay and swap parts to my heart’s content.

I’ve discovered the output amplifier rolls off quickly below 70 KHz so my unit is working correctly and I just need to switch over to a 3325B for the lower frequencies.

Steve
WB0DBS