[time-nuts] Accuracy/drift of Garmin GPS 16 HVS 1 PPS output under invalid fix conditions...

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Mar 11 17:02:39 UTC 2019

Hi

Any of the “typical” surplus GPSDO’s should be able to hold 10 us over 24 hours. That’s the CDMA spec
that the market was looking for when they were manufactured.  With a big hunky OCXO pulling lots of
watts (and a few other issues), I doubt they are going to work in this case.

====

15 minutes is 900 seconds. 1 ms at 1,000 seconds is (quite nicely) a 1 ppm frequency offset. That gets you
out of the world of a bare crystal oscillator. It does not present much of a challenge for a typical TCXO.
Unfortunately a lot of low end GPS gizmos have a crystal rather than a TCXO in them. They might  “learn”
the frequency offset while locked. Who knows if they do that ….It seems like a lot of effort on their part for
a feature that nobody ever looks at.

Bob