[time-nuts] Accuracy/drift of Garmin GPS 16 HVS 1 PPS output under invalid fix conditions...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Mar 12 01:27:52 UTC 2019

Steve Olney said:
> The professional guys were impressed with my data, but slightly  disappointed
> it didn't have accurate time-stamping. I am working to  rectify that for the
> next glitch.

What do they need for accuracy?

Some of the radio astronomy people are world class time nuts.  All the VLBI
stations have a Hydrogen Maser.

Don't forget the delay through your radio.  You can avoid that by injecting
the PPS it a spare channel and using that for the low bits of the time stamp.
You need something else to number the seconds.  Plan B is use the PPS to keep
your system clock close to UTC and correct for the delay by measuring it once
and assume it doesn't change much.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.