[time-nuts] statistical distribution of initial frequency error in tcxos

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 13 20:53:05 UTC 2019

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> Oh, and I don't really care about the frequency variation with  temperature
> (since that can be calibrated) but I'd like really good  phase noise.  For,
> say, <$5 each in qty 1000.

Neat question.

$5 is above the super low cost range so there might be some technical support
to answer questions for that type of part.  How many vendors do you have in
mind?  It might be worth sending them an email to see if you hit one who has
the data and/or is curious enough to think about the problem rather then
just-hit-delete when he sees that you only want one reel.

You can probably get part of the answer by measuring a few samples.  If the
variation over temp is X, then the manufacturing tolerance has to be better
than TotalSpec-X.  Extra credit if you get a couple more from a different
distributor so you (hopefully) get a different batch.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.