[time-nuts] statistical distribution of initial frequency error in tcxos

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 22:17:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:02 AM jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> If I go out and buy 100 TCXOs with a spec of, say, 50 ppm, what does the
> distribution of the initial frequencies (and, I suppose, the frequencies
> after aging) look like.

If you are buying 1000, you probably will get the manufacturer to test to
meet your specs. At 100, you will likely get what you get from them. I am
buying VCTCXOs 50 at a time and they have quite a variation. Basically they
meet spec for temperature variation, but many just barely meet spec. They
typically are 1-2 ppm off before adjusting them on frequency and drift 1-2
ppm in the weeks after soldering too. After that, maybe 1 ppm per year.
This is only one example of one manufacturer in a custom frequency for me.
If you buy a standard frequency, you will likely get the benefit of better
manufacturing control they can afford for high volume parts. I am buying
parts specified at +/- .28 ppm over 0 to 70 degrees and they just meet
that, but the frequency is anywhere at any temperature. It is often not a
linear function.

I've also seen hysteresis, frequency jumps, etc, with only about 80% of the
parts acceptable to me. Those effects are not considered or tested by the
manufacturer at this low volume, so I have to do the temperature testing
and cull the unacceptable ones. You will probably have to do the same, age
and test yourself to get acceptable results.

Regards,

Mark