[time-nuts] Frequency Ensemble

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Mar 18 19:37:22 UTC 2019

Hi

You can access an “NTRIP stream” from various free sites. There is some
mumbo jumbo on some of them to get an account. There are streams dedicated
to “clock and orbit correction”. CLK11 and CLK93 are two fairly common ones.

Since NTRIP is a real time product (as in < 30 seconds delay) it can be used for
“right now” sort of correction. RTKLIB is probably the most common way to get
the local receiver and an NTRIP stream combined.

If you just want to play with it ntrip.itsware.net <http://ntrip.itsware.net/> port 2101 is a free / no registration source
of the CLK11 stream. They also have various other “correction product” streams
you can play with.

In theory (though I can in no way prove it yet) you should be able to reduce the
timing errors associated with the broadcast clock and orbit estimates by about an order
of magnitude. It is *abundantly* unclear what that translates into in nanoseconds due
to a whole lot of layers everything goes through…..

The NTRIP products are all aimed at surveying applications so there is a lot of translation
involved to get to the sort of time numbers we like to deal with. It should help, the big
question is how much (10 is unlikely …. sqrt(10) maybe …. sqrt(10) / 2 … who knows ….).

Bob