[time-nuts] inexpensive fiber optic distribution

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Thu Mar 21 18:53:57 UTC 2019

There is not that much personality. After all, the governing document is
called the MSA, which stands for Multi Source Agreement.

I can only speak for our XFPs; these are considered a little bit better,
bigger and  slightly less exposed to cost pressure than SFP. While it
may look from the outside as a I2C eeprom, the storage was inside the
ADuC832 and writing was censored by its 8051 CPU. There were the
"constants" for laser operating point control that were set as the last
step on the production line and it would be really dumb to let customers
/ box movers fondle that. Our modules could also remember if they were
exposed to excessive temperatures for a long time, and that could be
read out.

With regard to time nuttery, I would not pin my hopes too high. The
connection to the circuit board is just a card edge and the interface
must accommodate some 40 cm of FR-4 transmission line, so the first
thing when a signal enters the transmitter is the eye opener that
recreates nice data from the mess. It does not care much about low
frequencies and dc wander; it uses the loose telecom jitter specs to its
fullest advantage.

The circuit board swims freely in the box; the ROSA/TOSA are relatively
tightly connected to the fiber and in case of mechanical stress
something has to give in. That flexible Kapton strip that connects the
laser/receiver to the board was a major electromagnetics simulation
nightmare.

I remember how my decision to use BNC instead of SMA for my BJT
isolation amplifier was welcomed here ;-)  or how the failure to fasten
an optical cable fully
led to the discovery of faster-than-light neutrinos at Gran Sasso.

regards, Gerhard