[time-nuts] Absolute time accuracy pre-Cesium?

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Tue Mar 26 19:55:34 UTC 2019

Read Book IV of Aristotle’s PHYSICS, take two aspirin then use all the
instructions in the Islamic Hadith to know when it is really morning in
order to call me in the morning :)

Aristotle worried a lot about whether the measurement of time is conflated
with time itself. We can reckon time using both analog and digital
representations, but once we start wondering what the relationship of our
representations are to what time is, we’re in deep philosophical waters.

That said, Western metrology has tended toward emphasizing the usefulness
of uniform units of measure. This has encouraged a trend towards viewing
time as digital. Other cultural traditions view time as analog, and
instead of reckoning time in terms of units of duration, reckon it in
terms of points on a continuum of time. Hence my reference to the Hadith
(the commentaries on the Qur’an).  In the Hadith, it is very important to
identify particular moments when one absolutely may not pray (e.g., the
exact moment of sunrise).  Its techniques for reckoning time are focused
on knowing when particular moments are approaching.

So I guess I’m saying that whether time is analog or digital depends on
culture.  But then again, I’m a cultural anthropologist, so that’s what I
get paid to say.

Best,

Kevin

--
Kevin K. Birth, Professor
Department of Anthropology

"Tempus est mundi instabilis motus, rerumque labentium cursus." --Hrabanus
Maurus

"We may live longer but we may be subject to peculiar contagion and
spiritual torpor or illiteracies of the imagination" --Wilson Harris

On 3/26/19, 11:46 AM, "time-nuts on behalf of Bob Albert via time-nuts"
<time-nuts-bounces at lists.febo.com on behalf of time-nuts at lists.febo.com>