Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun May 26 01:20:40 UTC 2019

Hi

The correction information is what transfers “all” the data on the PPS to the control loop.
The PPS may be accurate to 12 ns and the correction word gets it the rest of the way.

Keep in mind that the GPS PPS may be “wobbling” around by a couple of nanoseconds
on a second to second basis. If you want to “truly” phase lock to the PPS you happen to get
you will be modulating the OCXO by many PPB. Also a similar unit in a similar location with
a similar antenna may have a very different nanosecond level “wobble” to it.

The ADEV of the GPS PPS likely does not intersect the ADEV of a good OCXO until you
are out into the hundreds or even thousands of seconds range. If your objective is to “improve”
a good OCXO, GPS will do that. It only will do that for very long tau.

Bob