[time-nuts] can of worms: time-of-day in a community radio station

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Nov 3 15:00:39 UTC 2019

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 18:24:57 -0700
Fiorenzo Cattaneo <fio at cattaneo.us> wrote:

> The main reason I do not trust "pool" servers is because there is no
> guarantee of which server you will get. I might be paranoid, but I am
> worried about rogue servers, and I much rather trust well known public
> stratum-1 NTP servers.

This is a pretty baseless fear. The servers in the ntp pool
are constantly monitored and those that are off by more than 100ms
are quickly removed (within 2-3 hours, IIRC). Of course, if you
are already using one of those, then the removal will not help you.
But you are most likely using 3-5 servers anyways, which means ntp
will remove the "rouge" server on its own.

			Attila Kinali

--
<JaberWorky>	The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
                throw DARK chocolate at you.