[time-nuts] Cold Rubidium?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 02:48:15 UTC 2019

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 7:04 PM Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
> Though, the cost is lower. Low enough that I would choose one of
> these instead of buying a 5071.

My google sleuthing indicates that they're selling it for about $347k:
https://www.sell2wales.gov.wales/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV275940&catID=

That makes the pricing more competitive with an high end active
hydrogen maser (I've seen MHM2010 quoted around $250k) than a 5071a
(~$93k list price).

It seems likely to me that cRb-Clock (or successors with a similar
operating principle) could eventually be cost optimized to be
competitive with 5071a... in particular if it uses mass produced
commercial telecommunications lasers (780nm is twice the frequency of
a common wavelength used for dense wavelength division multiplexing
communication systems, these have fairly narrow line-widths-- 100kHz
isn't too atypical to see on spec sheets).