[time-nuts] Dead 5061B

AC0XU (Jim) James.Schatzman at ac0xu.com
Tue Nov 5 02:14:07 UTC 2019

Time Nuts-

Thanks to John, Corby, Skip and anyone else I missed who offered help.

John got it in one. The hot wire ionizer is open, as measured at the D connector coming out of the tube. I understand that this is a terminal condition. Too bad for me.

BTW, I found this note on antiqueradios.com:

There is a procedure for broken filaments also. The success rate of welding a filament is very low in my experience but has extended the life of a few expensive tubes for me. You apply high voltage to the filament pins and tap the tube to try to make the broken ends touch. If all works well, the filament fuses on contact and continuity is restored. I use a charged capacitor as the voltage source since it will discharge immediately so it will not burn the filament out again.
It's pretty much the same procedure I use to restore open audio transformers for my 20's battery sets. I have over a 50% success rate with my audio transformers so far.

Has this ever been tried on a cesium tube?

Jim