[time-nuts] Cold Rubidium?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 8 06:17:35 UTC 2019

On 11/7/19 6:15 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> p.boven at xs4all.nl said:
>> We were seriously considering the Muquans clock for a radio astronomy
>> project. However, the company explained that the device has to be  returned
>> every 3 to 5 years for re-filling. Given the very remote  location we were
>> going to put these in, that was out of the question for us.
>
> What's the MTBF of that sort of gear?  How often can you repair it on site?
>
> Did you ask about a larger container for whatever needs re-filling?
>
> How big is the unit?  Is whatever needs re-filling removable so you don't have
> to ship the whole thing?  (I'm assuming that you have to swap out technicians
> occasionally so there is occasional transportation to the remote sites.)

Well, remote could be "really remote" - for the last few months, I've
been working on a design for a low frequency radio telescope on the far
side of the moon - periodic service is essentially impossible. So far,
though, it doesn't appear we need that good of a clock.

Radio astronomers do like to put their instruments in remote places,
where noise is less.