[time-nuts] Cold Rubidium?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Nov 8 03:44:10 UTC 2019

Good questions, Hal.

This reminds me of the HP Cesium Beam Tube useful
life.  The standard tube, at least, is such that it is unlikely
to last long enough to completely use up the cesium.
Then there is the rest of the instrument.

My experience with the HP Rubidium units is that if
you just flood the cell, there is a problem of excess
rubidium condensing in inconvenient places.

A user installable Rb cartridge may be problematical
in that I suspect that they have to pump down the unit
to a high vacuum, then break an Rb capsule, and then fire
a getter, etc.  I can't imagine they would needlessly
saddle the user with having to ship the unit back if
there was a reasonable alternative.

Rick