[time-nuts] Digital Phase Lock Loops

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Nov 19 12:34:32 UTC 2019

Hi

Unless the 100 MHz “VCO” is an OCXO, it is going to be tough
to keep things locked at a fractional Hz sort of bandwidth. It’s simply a matter
of how much the phase / frequency is likely to change while you are trying
to get it to lock / keep it locked. Things like shock and vibration get into it along
with temperature.

There’s nothing “magic” about digital vs analog. You do the same things
with both. Gain margin / phase margin / damping matter in any control loop.
Both approaches run into side issues with things like divider and phase detector
noise floors.

You may need a wide bandwidth loop to get things lined up and a soft
switchover ( = no spikes ) to a narrower bandwidth. You see that done in GPSDO’s
a lot.  Plenty of grubby details to deal with …..

Bob