[time-nuts] 90ms delay of time signal on phase-modulated carrier of BBC 198KHz transmission in the UK (was: DST change on DCF77)

Peter Vince petervince1952 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 08:27:52 UTC 2019

Hi Steve,

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 01:00, Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> wrote:

> The current version ITU-R TF.460-6 says that time signals should
> not deviate by more than 1 ms from UTC.
>
> How can these broadcasts justify such a large offset?

The signal is only used (as far as I am aware, a few Time Nuts apart) for
controlling domestic electricity time switches for people on the
"Economy-7" tariff, which gives them cheaper electricity overnight for
storage heaters for seven hours.  As such, I suspect even a fraction of a
second is overkill.

     Regards,

          Peter