[time-nuts] Need help in test board pinout for SA22.c oscillator - thanks in advance

Andrew Rodland andrew at cleverdomain.org
Fri Nov 22 02:51:09 UTC 2019

I remember when I started experimenting with Rb and I thought "why
would I want to give it more cooling? That's just more contact with
the outside world, and more chance for the room temperature variation
to throw things off. I'll just put it on the desk, it'll be more
stable that way."

And then someone finally got through to me: the Rb has a heater to
regulate the temperature, but the heater can only regulate temperature
*up*, not *down*. If you have enough cooling to remove the operating
heat output plus some fraction of the heater's output, at the
specified case temperature and your range of room temperatures, then
the heater will operate some fraction of the time and the physics
package temperature will be well-regulated. With less cooling than
that, the temperature becomes effectively unregulated, because if the
unit is too hot, the heater can't help.

Of course, lots of thermal mass in the heatsink helps too if you want
to damp out the effects of air-conditioner cycling and the like.