[time-nuts] Jan-Derk's DDMTD

Bill Slade slade_bill at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 1 17:10:22 UTC 2019

Hello,
This is a topic that interest me greatly as well.  Some of the work we have done uses a digital frequency tracking loop to generate frequency errors directly from sampled data using a sampling system and ethernet system of our own design.  We opted for using a look-up table-based DDS in the final frequency conversion to baseband (you mentioned considering CORDIC) and CIC filters/decimation..all in FPGA (Altera Cyclone III).  This was done for testing two-way coherent transponders.  See a description here<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332241644_Coherent_tracking_error_characterization_in_microwave_transponders>.

Yes, it seems to me that a band limiting filter on the input would be absolutely necessary, since the sampling BW of the ADC is so high.

Also, run ADCs at full sampling rate, then use low pass filtering (Hogenauer/CIC filters?) with decimation in the digital domain.  You will get extra bits of resolution that correspond to the effective oversampling (ADC SPS / Decimated SPS) possibly allowing a smaller ADC word width.

Raspberry Pi is your friend in a project like this!  We used a dsPIC series processor in our work because we already had an ethernet interface already up and running on this device and all the chips are hand-solderable (TQFP instead of BGA).

Looks like a great project.  I will be lurking around when you post updates!

Cheers,
Bill