[time-nuts] Jan-Derk's DDMTD

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 1 22:31:40 UTC 2019

On 9/1/19 10:10 AM, Bill Slade wrote:
> Hello,
> This is a topic that interest me greatly as well.  Some of the work we have done uses a digital frequency tracking loop to generate frequency errors directly from sampled data using a sampling system and ethernet system of our own design.  We opted for using a look-up table-based DDS in the final frequency conversion to baseband (you mentioned considering CORDIC) and CIC filters/decimation..all in FPGA (Altera Cyclone III).  This was done for testing two-way coherent transponders.  See a description here<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332241644_Coherent_tracking_error_characterization_in_microwave_transponders>.

This is quite interesting.. It's always a challenge to adequately
characterize the turnaround performance of a transponder, particularly
in a rapidly changing Doppler environment.Say your probe is orbiting
Europa or Titan, and you want to do precision radiometric measurements
for radio science.

back in the day, with an all analog transponder, you could test at
constant frequencies, and do some analytical stuff to estimate
incremental ADEV in the turnaround, as well as the imperfections from
tracking a higher order variation in Doppler than the loop order. And
mission design didn't do orbits around moons, but flybys (e.g. Cassini,
Galileo, Voyager)  But these days, most transponders implement the
carrier tracking loop in software, and there's always all sorts of
arguments about what the implementation of that loop does to the turnaround.

> Yes, it seems to me that a band limiting filter on the input would be absolutely necessary, since the sampling BW of the ADC is so high.

and, probably, on the sampling clock - the clock input on these kind of
devices is also quite wideband