[time-nuts] 5 Mhz to 10 Mhz and 25 Mhz

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 11 16:56:22 UTC 2019

Hi Paul.

PLL's of course can introduce phase-noise, as well as remove it.

Certainly if the reference 5 MHz is (phase)noisy then a PLL can clean
that up, but if you multiply it (before cleaning) it gets much worse.
The multipliers themselves as someone else may chime in, can add to that
I suspect too.

I missed your original question, so did not realise you wanted to
multiply up that far.

Do you subscribe to Dubus?  There's a description of a 122 GHz system in
the current issue, using (from what I can gather) IC's used for
collision avoidance/adaptive-cruise control etc, in modern vehicles..
PL locked (sort-of) to a GPS PPS source too, phase noisy at 122 GHz, but
good enough for FM voice it seems!

http://www.marsport.org.uk/dubus/last.htm   (Just the front cover.)

There is a sample full issue at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6gusksmazh7wmyy/DUBUS412w.pdf?dl=0  (that
describes a 134 GHz transverter)  If you've not come across that
publication before.

73 Paul.

Dave G0WBX

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software: