[time-nuts] 10811-Parts... (Using the thermal regulator circuitry)

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Sep 16 14:35:37 UTC 2019

On 9/15/2019 1:32 PM, Club Internet wrote:
> Rick,
> Thanks for this information. Actually the technology of C18 is not specified in the manual.
> Why should it necessarily be « foil » type and metallized?
> Of course the « mass » needs to be there (=> 3D printing services)
> Best
> Gilles.

See:

https://www.sbelectronics.com/products/application-notes/why-specify-filmfoil-capacitors/

Expanding on this:

(1) the 10811 oven integrator has a large resistor
in series with the capacitor, so there might not be enough available
current to vaporize shorts.

(2) shorting-and-clearing puts a glitch into the integrator which
creates a thermal disturbance

(3) the 10811 design engineers, and their boss (who hired me into HP)
were extremely methodical and I can assure you that no decision was
made by accident.  Keep that in mind when reverse engineering the
10811.

Foil types basically have 1/2 the capacitance of the same size in
metallized.

End of lesson :-)

Rick N6RK