[time-nuts] Distributing GPS L1 signal to many GPS devices

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Sep 24 19:15:22 UTC 2019

Hi

There are a number of MiniCircuits passive multiport splitters that show up on eBay
at reasonable (< $40) sort of prices. You can get eight port versions with SMA connectors
on them fairly quickly. Other connector types or higher port counts may take a bit of shopping
and added cost. There are also 4 port versions that show up in the < $20 range.

Cascading one 4 port into 4 eight ports gets you 32 outputs. You also have a bit of loss to deal with.

One way to deal with the loss is to run a “survey” antenna in front of the setup. Some of them have
50 db of gain (compared to the 20 to 30 db often seen in timing antennas). That will quite nicely make
up for the splitters plus some cable loss.

Another way to make up for the loss is to shop a bit for an amplifier that will do the job. There are a
number of manufacturers out there. Some include filtering, some do not. A broadband amp with no
filtering and possible open questions about 3rd order intercept ( = signal handling) capability can be had
for <$20. Something fancier with filters might be 5X that.

Indeed there is no need to stop at a 4 port on the front end. You can start with an 8 port and then
tack on 8 ports after that…..

Be aware that some sort of DC block probably is a good idea on each of the output ports. If you have
a (rare) GPS that freaks out with no DC into the antenna that also will need to be handled.

Bob