[time-nuts] NTP apps on Windows question

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 26 11:04:15 UTC 2019

From: Peter Laws

I've noticed the same issue (running Meinberg's build of NTP) with the
same amateur radio program where the PC is a certain number of seconds
off (4 or 6 or so or whatever but on the order of what the OP
reported).  A restart of NTP "fixes" it.  This happens after a cold
boot and even if I let the system run for an hour, NTP never fixes
things.

You've reminded me that I need to check if I did, in fact, disable the
Windows Time service (whatever it is on W10).  That's much more likely
to be the issue rather than NTP.

==========================

Peter,

You might also check that NTP is working correctly.  Have you used the
"ntpq -pn" command?  If your PC is out by more than 500 ppm (43 seconds a
day) special steps are required for NTP so that it corrects such an
inaccurate clock!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu