[time-nuts] Phase measurement of my GPSDO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 3 15:38:15 UTC 2020

Hi

When you generate a 1 pps signal, you divide the DUT 10 MHz by 10,000,000
to get the 1 pps. If the 10 MHz moves by X%, the 1 pps moves by X% as well.

If you *subtract* the DUT from the offset OCXO, you get the *difference*
of the two frequencies.

So with division:

10 MHz to 10 MHz + 1 Hz
1 pps goes from 1 Hz to 1.0000001 Hz

With subtraction:

10 MHz to 10 MHz + 10 Hz
10 Hz goes from 10 Hz to 9 Hz

=========

Your 5335 is in no way “bad”. It simply is not good enough for what you want to
do. The 5313x series counters do some “fake out” stuff. Because of that, they can
look better than they really are. ( = they actually are about 2X to 10X better than
your 5335).

Bob

> [...]
> region, and apparently, the 5335A is not suitable for those, at least not
> with the desired stability, is it?
>

> Tobias
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:45 PM Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> The quick way to do this is with a single mixer. Take something like an old
>> 10811 and use the coarse tune to set it high in frequency by 5 to 10 Hz.
>>
>> Then feed it into an RPD-1 mixer and pull out the 5 to 10 Hz audio tone.
>> That tone is the *difference* between the 10811 and your device under
>> test.
>> If the DUT moves 1 Hz, the audio tone changes by 1 Hz.
>>
>> If you measured the 10 MHz on the DUT, that 1 Hz would be a very small
>> shift
>> ( 0.1 ppm ). At 10 Hz it’s a 10% change. You have “amplified” the change
>> in frequency by the ratio of 10 MHz to 10 Hz ( so a million X increase ).
>>
>> *IF* you could tack that on to the ADEV plot of your 5335 ( no, it’s not
>> that
>> simple) your 7x10^-10 at 1 second would become more 7x10^-16 at 1
>> second.
>>
>> The reason its not quite that simple is that the input circuit on the
>> counter
>> really does not handle a 10 Hz audio tone as well as it handles a 10 MHz
>> RF signal. Instead of getting 9 digits a second, you probably will get
>> three
>> *good* digits a second and another 6 digits of noise.
>>
>> The good news is that an op amp used as a preamp ( to get you up to maybe
>> 32 V p-p rather than a volt or so) and another op amp or three as limiters
>> will
>> get you up around 6 or 7 good digits. Toss in a cap or two as a high pass
>> and low pass filter ( DC offsets can be a problem ….) and you have a
>> working
>> device that gets into the parts in 10^-13 with your 5335.
>>
>> It all can be done with point to point wiring. No need for a PCB layout.
>> Be
>> careful that the +/- 18V supplies to the op amp *both* go on and off at
>> the
>> same time ….
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>> On Apr 3, 2020, at 5:13 AM, Tobias Pluess <tpluess at ieee.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi John
>>>
>>> yes I know the DMTD method, and indeed I am planing to build my own DMTD
>>> system, something similar to the "Small DMTD system" published by Riley (
>>> https://www.wriley.com/A Small DMTD System.pdf).
>>> However I am unsure whether that will help much in this case, because all
>>> what the DMTD does is to mix the 10MHz signals down to some 1Hz Signal or
>>> so which can be measured more easily, and I already have 1Hz signals (the
>>> 1PPS) which I am comparing.
>>> Or do you suggest to use the DMTD and use a higher frequency at its
>>> outputs, say 10Hz or so, and then average for 10 samples  to increase the

>>> Tobias