[time-nuts] Buffer amplifier, OP Amp, vs MMIC, vs discrete?

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 22:07:13 UTC 2020

I'm seeing a fairly obvious trend on this list.  When it comes to buffer amplifiers, many people, in fact, most I've seen recommends fast OP Amp.  Discrete Amp, such as ones from K5FX design, NIST design, Clifton amp, and others are mentioned only sometimes.  Trends are similar for distribution amps.  Video amps are generally not recommended.

But I have never seen a suggestion of MMIC like ones from Mini-circuits.  There are few that work from DC, fairly good NF, but often too high of gain.  Other than high gain, are there reason NOT to use MMIC?